Tuesday, June 21, 2011

First Day of Summer

Ok, so now it's official.  It's the first day of summer... just in time since it was the last day of school for my kiddos (I wonder if that was planned, hmmm, clever).  In honor of this season so proudly marked on our calendar, (by our kids) I have made a list.  I am so very good at making lists, you see. Usually they are more of the chore driven to-do type. (Boo. Hiss.) This one was so much more fun than all that nonsense. It's perfectly free of all responsibility and pressure and necessity.

I like to call it our "Summer Do-dies." It goes a little something like this...

Things We'll Do...
Fishing
Fly a Kite
Draw w/ Sidewalk Chalk
Slip n Slide
Read-a-Thon
Host Lord of the Rings Viewing Party
Wii Sports Tourney
Water Balloon Fight
Picnic
Hike in O'neil Park
Family Game Day
Library
Blow Bubbles
Cookout at the Beach
Watch the Sunset
Star Gaze
Bowling
Build a Sandcastle
Movie Marathon
PJ Day (& breakfast for every meal)

Things We Will Make...
Watermelon Stars
Build an Inside Fort
Ice Cream Sandwich Bar
ABC Book (for Evareaux)
Summer Journal (for Nakiah)
Hand/Sock Puppets
Bicycle License Plate
Shadow Faces at the Beach
Frozen Treats
Pizza's on the BBQ
Create a Mini-Me Craft

Places We'll Go...
Wild rivers
Beach
Disneyland
Wild Animal Park
Sandcastle Contest at Corona Del Mar
Lagoon
Pool
Sno on the go
Camping Trip
Fair
Splash Pad
Mini Train Station
Dollar Theatre
Outdoor Concert

Food We'll Enjoy...
Watermelon
Hot Dogs & Burgers
Corn on the Cob
Slurpees (ok, not a food, but sooo tasty)
Potato Salad
Shish-ka-Bobs
S'mores

So there you have it. Fun, fun, YUM.  I have no misconceptions that we will effectively check off all of these items.  That's just fine with me.  It's a great way for me to get a big picture of the simple, and not so simple, things I would like our family to do together this summer.

I'm thinking it would be nice to make my own summer journal to document family activities.  Maybe I will make a version for our 9 year old so he can check things off and write about them as we go.  That would be fun to look back on come September.  Also, I'm thinking a "before" page with all of these items presented as a checklist. Once summer is over I'd make an "after" with some of the items checked off (hopefully MOST of them).

What are your plans for the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment